Unity® For All
With the Unity Sleeveless Vacuum by Össur, there is finally an elevated vacuum system for all prosthetic users. Whether an above-knee or below-knee, low active or high active, mechanical or microprocessor solution is required, the Unity Vacuum System offers the flexibility to combine a variety of Össur feet and knees to achieve the optimal combination of prosthetic components for each unique user.
Bob McGuire is a moderately active, 79-year-old unilateral above-knee amputee of the left leg.
Addressing a Medical Necessity
There are many reasons to believe that above-knee amputees will benefit from the use of elevated vacuum as much, if not more, than below-knee amputees.
- Elevated vacuum suspension systems manage limb volume fluctuation, a problem that people with limb loss are challenged with.
- When limb volume decreases, the socket is loose-fitting, often causing pressure to bony prominences, which may result in pain and/or injury to the limb.
- The vacuum-assisted socket has shown to eliminate daily volume loss.
- The combination of reduced pistoning and maintenance of volume is thought to account for the more symmetrical gait observed in users using elevated vacuum suspension.
- Activity Balance Confidence scores were found to be significantly higher in participants using vacuum suspension (95% confidence), indicating a lower predicted incidence of future falls.